When we had our Luau a couple weeks ago, I was in charge of crafting up the perfect summer cocktail that was just tiki enough to be enjoyable, but alcoholic enough to make it worth all the calories. After reviewing several recipes, I stumbled upon the classic blue marlin, which is citrus rum, blue curaçao, and triple sec.* The best news was that we almost already had all of that in our apartment, so we picked up a bottle of citrus rum and went to work.
And it was awful. I mean, sickeningly alcoholic, nearly undrinkable, even when iced down, we just couldn’t get over the fact that it wasn’t good. So I set to work trying to alter the recipe so it’d be tasty enough to drink, but still retain the alcoholic content that people come to our parties for. My solution? Add pineapple juice and soda water. The result was a much more bearable drink, still blue, still strong, and not so sweet it became impossible to drink.
Here’s my recipe (makes a lot):
- 1 bottle of Bacardi Limon
- 1/2 bottle Blue Curaçao
- 1/2 bottle Triple Sec (I went for the cheap stuff, when mixing a drink like this, there’s no need to use fancy liquers)
- 1/2 a large can of pineapple juice
- 1 bottle of seltzer
- Note: Like so many drink recipes, this one can be played around with a little bit, always be sure to try it, taste it, and adjust according to what you like!
- Mix the Bacardi Limon, Blue Curaçao, triple sec, and pineapple juice in a big punch bowl or drink dispenser. This is where it becomes important to taste. Give it a try, but remember that part of the problem with summer punches is that the ice melts and waters it down a bit!
- Once it taste how you’d like it to, add the ice. This should be done no more than an hour before your party starts. Just enough time to chill the drink, but not so much that it’s melted by the time your guests arrive!
- When it’s time to serve, dispense or pour over a highball glass full of ice until it’s about halfway full. Top with soda water.
- Garnish with a wedge of pineapple, or a lime, a straw, and always a tiki umbrella!
Tiki parties are one of the most fun parties you can have. It’s always a great excuse to have a reason to drink a tropical cocktail when not on an island vacation, and get dressed up! Enjoy!
*Other recipes call for peach schnapps, orange juice, or even gin.