I was a beauty junkie at a young age. I used all of my allowance on lipglosses and hair mascaras from Claire’s, and I couldn’t step into a box store without spending at least 10 minutes perusing the makeup aisles and being drawn in by all the amazing packaging. (My personal favorite was this brand).
But, sadly to say, that’s changed quite a bit now. I stick with what I know and what I love, and try not to get too crazy when it comes to spending money on colors that probably won’t even work with my skin tone. But boy, sometimes I definitely miss mixing it up and experimenting with beauty looks.
Here are a few of my favorite things from my youth, and updates for today:
- Lipsmacker vs. EOS – We all remember Lipsmacker, we all had Dr. Pepper, and we all wore it on a necklace. But those days are over. EOS (Evolution of Smooth) is the it chapsticks to have these days. Organic, natural, and paraben free, these chapsticks have been popping up everywhere (it doesn’t hurt that they’ve popped up as product placement in like every major music video in the past year).
- Urban Decay Body Glitter vs. Per-fekt Body Gel – I was so jealous when my girlfriends had the flavored Urban Decay body glitters (I was stuck with measly Claire’s body glitter roller balls). But where we used to adorn our cleavage with body glitter, we can now hit with more sophisticated tanning gels. Per-fekt body gel is made right here in the USA, and is highly concentrated so a tube will last you ages (and it’s probably easier to remove than the heavy glitter chunks of the early 00’s I’m still finding on my skin).
- Duwop Lip Venom vs. City Lips – Once and a while I still bust out the leftover Dupwop Lip Venom when I want an extra kissable pout, but since it’s like a million years old, I’ve been dying to try this new product. Enter, City Lips, Duwops older, sophisticated cousin. The website gets pretty scientific, so I won’t bore you with it, but apparently a certain Kardashian sister uses this product so it must be good for giving you that super injected look right?
- French Manicure Kits vs. Dior Nail Glow Enhancer – When french manicures were all the rage, I couldn’t have one due to my high-school commitments (orchestra, cheerleading, etc.), but the minute I left for college, you better believe I spent way too much money getting acrylics. Now that I’m a bit older, a bit wiser, and would rather spend my disposable income elsewhere, acrylics and time consuming french manicures just don’t feel like me. But Dior Nail Glow is supposedly like an instant french manicure, and I’m dying to try it.
- Hair Mascara vs. Hair Chalk – I’m no stranger to being a bit bold with my hair color, and that’s definitely something I’ve retained from my youth. However, whereas I used to use gross, chunky hair mascaras that would leave my hair feeling frozen and stiff, I’m dying to replace with hair chalks. They’ve been the rage for quite a while now, but I haven’t picked any up and tried them yet. I’m loving these Sugar Streak Hair Chalks (sold out, similar), because let’s be real, if they would’ve carried them in Delia*s in the 90s, I’m so in.
I’d love to know, what are some of your favorite beauty trends from your youth that you’re dying to try again?